Thursday, November 19, 2009

Reflection #8

This last Wednesday I went to my school where I was placed just to observe and meet the students. There many different things that I observed and learned. The second grade classrooms at Seattle Hill Elementary are all in one "pod". There are three classrooms altogether. At the beginning of the year they asses the students on their math and reading and based off of these assessment they dived the students into three groups, High learners, right on track learners and low learners. In the morning they have Math and reading, during these times the students just know what room they should be in. In one room there is the high learners and in another room the right on track and in the next room will be the low learners. This way the teachers do not have to prepare something for every lesson for the high and low learners they are all in one room. The students don't know why they are in one room or another during this subject. In other words they don't make it known to the students that they are high, low, or right on track learners. Also, another thing is that one teacher does not always get the high learns or low learners they have a different group of kids for each subject. I thought this was very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I think that this is a really good idea. I feel that one of the biggest challenges that a teacher faces is teaching to the variety of skill levels within the classroom. The way that they structure their "pod" is beneficial to both the teachers and the students!

    ReplyDelete