Sunday, December 6, 2009

Assignment #4

My technology project was originally “Day in a Life of a Fourth Grader” but, due to many of the students not turning in a permission slip my project now is call “My Favorite Thing About 4th Grade”. The very first step for this project was making a permission slip for the students to take home to their parents. I had to include what my project was for and why I was doing it; additional I had to list all the different conditions all the parents would be agreeing to. Once, I had the permission slip written it was give to the principal for approval. After the permission slip was approved it was copied and sent home with the students. A week later I interviewed about 14 students asking them what their favorite subject, thing or project is so far in 4th grade is. I used a flip video to video tape the interviews and also I was able to video tape some students in the classroom during a math lesson and readers workshop. Once, I had enough clips and imported them on my computer and did a made a test video using the flip-video software. Next, I imported the individual clips into imovie, and started to put them in the order I wanted them in. After I had all the clips in order I took out the sound of some the clips and enhanced the sound in some of the interview clips. Also, I added title and ending slides. Finally I chose a song from my itunes library and added it to the background of the video. I had to take down the volume of the song from 100% to about 11%. This was the last step of the process for completing my movie. I published the movie and it turned out very well. I am not able to put the video up on my blog due the fact that I do not have permission to post it online.



Features of technology I learned to use:


Flip-Video

· Installing the Software

· Import the clips from flip video

· Snapshot


Imovie

· Import clips into imove maker

· Create title and ending slides with different effects

· Enhancing the voice in a clip

· Taking noise out of a clip

· Adding music to the background



NETS Standards


I believe this project fulfills NETS standard for teachers 3d. Model and facilitate effects use of current and emerging digital tools to locate analyze, evaluate and use information resource to support research and learning. The reason this standard is fulfilled is because, I demonstrated an effective way to use the flip-video in a classroom. This video helps to evaluate what students favorite subject or project is during fourth grade. Another standard this project fulfills is 3a. Demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations. I believe through the process of making this video I have demonstrated fluency in how use the flip video and also using different features in imovie maker.


The first NETS standard for students this project covers is 2d. contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems. The reason this standard is covered is because each students that participated in this project contributed to the final video by being interviewed and also by the highlight clips in the classroom. The second standard this project covers is 5b. Exhibit a positive attitude toward using a technology that supports collaboration, learning and productivity. Every student that participated loved that fact that they were being video taped and showed a lot of enthusiasm toward the flip video. Most students had never even seen a flip video and realized how easy it was for even them to use for school project. Also by being a part of this video they were supporting my learning for technology class.


This project in the beginning was just a requirement but after creating the vido means so much more to me. The reason this project means so much to me, is most of the students that participated are involved with the after school program where I work. This is my last semester being able to work there, and will miss many of these students greatly. Many of these 4th graders hold a special place in my heart and remind me of why I want to be a teacher one day. I can play this video when I am having a bad day at school and remind myself why I want to be a teacher. Not only will this movie make you happy but, it will just brighten your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment