Saturday, September 19, 2009

Assignment #1

"USING TEXT-TO-SPEECH SOFTWARE WITH STRUGGLING READERS" By Ernest Balajthy The article that I read is about Text- to- Speech (TTS) software, this software enables computers to read electronic text files aloud using phonemic voice syntheses. An example of how this software can be uses is if a student is looking up websites about a certain topic and the article on the website is above there reading level, students are able to use the TTS to read it aloud. The TTS software is easy to get but teachers need to have training before they can execute it effectively in the classroom. Depending on how much this software is going to be used in the classroom there are a wide verity prices. There are free versions available online but the options are limited on what the program can do. The more sophisticated software included scanning capabilities. This software is great for struggling readers. When a student is struggling with reading and is able to use the TTS software they can create personal setting such as, chose the voice of a male or female and how fast the software will read the selected text.Researchers have done many studies regarding this software because, one thing still remains the same, the value of being able to read and understand is the core to being successful today. They have also found that students who can read daily for long periods of time their skills of decoding, vocabulary and comprehension are always improving. With the TTS software they have found that students with ADD can help them focus on reading for longer periods of time because they are hearing a voice as well as being able to follow along seeing the words. There are many great things that can come from the technology but there are also so many up and downs as well. This software is great for individual use for struggling readings but, researchers are finding it is not as effective in a large classroom setting. I personally think that in the future the TTS software could have a big impact on the classroom. Especially since we are leaning more towards students working independently doing discovery learning. I believe that this tool can be used effectively once the teachers have been trained to use it to its full potential. Until then, I think it will be a great resource for parents to use at home if their child is a struggling reader. Balajthy, Ernest. "Using Text-to-Speech Software with Struggling Readers." College Reading Association Yearbook; 2007, Issue 28, p364-370, 7p. http://firma.northwestu.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=26328918&site=ehost-live NETS STANDARDS FOR TEACHERS AND STUDENTS The NETS for teachers that I will be focusing on this semester is, to demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies ans situations. I chose this standard because I believe it is important for teachers to be current in the new technology to keep our students engaged in learning. By being current in our technology we can keep up with what our students are using in their everyday life and apply it to learning. I plan to improve in this area by becoming familiar with the SMART board and being able to use it's technology to create effective lessons for the classroom. For students I think they are all important standard but for the 1st and 2nd grade I would put a emphasis on contributing to projects teams to produce original works or solve problems. I know this is important during these years of elementary school because they are learning how to work as a team and respect their peers. This standard can be integrated in many ways just by having the students work in pair to create a story together, or have students come with a science experiment and have them present their finding to the class. Another way is to have students play games that are inclusive during P.E. By having students work together in different ways I believe will enhance their relationships with others as well as make your classroom environment safe and inviting.

No comments:

Post a Comment