Monday, September 28, 2009

Reflection #2

I have recently went and observed a math lesson being taught in the 5th grade. It was a great experience, for the beginning of the lesson I just watcher the teacher (Ms. Foulan) introduce the new strategy for problem solving. She used the SMART board to help introduce this new concept. Once she explained the processes, they did a practice problem together on the SMART board. First she let the students try and figure it out on their own, then she actually had the students figure it out using the actually materials in the problem. The students then were given a worksheet to do with a partner using this new problem solving strategy. This lesson was a great way to see how the SMART board can be used as a visual aid to help explain a new concept in math. The teacher did a great job using it effectively for this particular lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I'm exicted that you have been able to see the SMART Board in action. I'm sure you realized that teachnology and especially having an interactive white board in a classroom changes the role of the teacher. As you mention when students are challenged to problem-solve rather than being supplied with the "correst answer" the clasroom becomes a rich learning environment where students are learning not only the material that their teachers share, but through the process of thinking through the problems and issues with their classmates.

    ReplyDelete